Senior Scientist, Research Bioinformatics*
- Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
Senior Scientist, Research Bioinformatics*
This position is based in Gaithersburg, MD at our newly formed research and clinical manufacturing site for BioNTech US. Together with the BioNTech US North American Headquarters in Cambridge, MA, both the Gaithersburg and Cambridge sites are an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies that expects to experience significant growth in the near future. BioNTech US is a subsidiary of BioNTech SE with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
Position is located in Gaithersburg, Maryland
At BioNTech US, our bioinformatics scientists are at the heart of our research. We are seeking an innovative, collaborative, and enthusiastic bioinformatician / computational biologist to work with us on a variety of high-dimensional bioinformatics projects centered on TCR discovery and target identification in the context of the engineered TCR cell therapy platform. The successful candidate will develop novel methods, analysis strategies, and tools to filter and distill multi-dimensional datasets into focused hypotheses that drive discovery research and development of the therapeutic platform. A critical component of the role will be close collaboration with multi-disciplinary research teams in TCR and target discovery, TCR validation and the sequencing team. At BioNTech US, we are at the cutting-edge of immunotherapy research, emphasizing participation in conferences and authorship of high-impact publications. Our new bioinformatics scientist will be a critical thought leader in the company, collaborating closely with other research scientists.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Integrate best practices approaches and develop novel algorithms and tools for discovering tumor-reactive TCRs from multi-modal single cell sequencing data
- Identify personalized neoantigen targets and characterize shared antigen targets by utilizing integrative approaches to multi-modal omics datasets from in-house experiments and public databases
- Contribute to the development and benchmarking of new neoantigen prediction algorithms
- Develop innovative, robust, high-throughput analysis pipelines that can be applied in research and eventually translated into clinical settings
- Liaise with experts in immunology, statistics, machine learning and software engineering as a project team member and provide expertise as a scientific resource for key company programs
- Identify, develop, manage, and contribute to collaborations and partnerships
- Provide guidance on experimental design and data interpretation by engaging lab scientists
- Serve as a project team member and a scientific resource for key company programs
What you have to offer.
- Minimum requirements; Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, systems biology, or a related discipline with a strong record of publications/patents is required.
- Experience designing and implementing novel algorithms for machine and statistical learning in high-dimensional multi-omics datasets
- Experience in applying best practices approaches to the secondary and tertiary analysis of single cell sequencing data
- Experience with building robust bioinformatics pipelines using workflow execution languages such as NextFlow, CWL or WDL
- Good understanding of standard bioinformatic data formats
- Experience with operating in a cloud computing environment (e.g. AWS) or HPC cluster computing environment
- Proficiency with using Linux and BASH or other similar shell
- Fluency in developing code in Python and/or R (strictly required)
- Experience with using version control systems (Git)
- Experience integrating diverse NGS and non-NGS data sets to identify biomarker signatures or mechanistic hypotheses
- Experience with mining public data sets, such as TCGA, GTEx, and CCLE
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and test hypotheses by designing and implementing novel computational approaches
- Capacity to prioritize and work independently to complete tasks and advance projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively with collaborators and multidisciplinary teams composed of scientists and non-scientists to translate emerging research to guide internal programs
- Strong written and verbal skills; ability to translate and communicate complex information and concepts for scientists of diverse backgrounds
- Positive and collaborative attitude; ability to work effectively with internal and external collaborators and multidisciplinary teams composed of scientists and non-scientists to translate emerging research to guide internal programs
- Creative and innovative thinking; track record of thought leadership
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, religion, color, sexual orientation or identity, disability, age and other protected statuses as given by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Most important – it’s a match!