Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering and Purification
- BioNTech Careers
- Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
- Published: 02.08.2022
- published till: 31.10.2022
Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering and Purification
BioNTech US is seeking a passionate, creative, and diligent protein Scientist and leader to join the Biochemistry group. The successful candidate will be expected to work as both an individual contributor and collaborative team member to help establish and lead technological capabilities in protein engineering, high throughput cell expression and protein purification, and mRNA design. You will have the opportunity to significantly contribute to every project in the Biochemistry group in oncology and infectious disease, including understanding and engineering core components of the immunological synapse (TCRs and peptide MHC proteins), B-cell antigens relevant to various infectious disease vaccine efforts, and unconventional oncology targets. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to manage and lead the design and production of crucial proteins to enable research programs outside of the Biochemistry group. You will be tasked with managing both internal and external resources to deliver protein technologies and tools to multiple programs. Finally, there will be opportunities for the successful candidate to contribute to the structural determination and characterization of therapeutically relevant antigen targets and biologics.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Protein engineering and design of fusion proteins for multispecific biologics development, infectious disease programs, oncology programs, structural biology, and other immunotherapy and disease applications.
- Manage an external CRO for the routine production of protein reagents.
- Design and manage DNA constructs for protein expression, purification, assay development, and potential structural studies.
- Maintain eukaryotic cell lines and prokaryotic cell stocks for downstream applications.
- Expression and purification of recombinant proteins from eukaryotic (predominantly Expi293) and prokaryotic (predominantly E. coli) cell systems using affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatographic techniques.
- Provide protein biochemical support for infectious disease vaccine programs and other cross-functional BioNTech programs.
- Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups in the company.
- Productivity both as part of a team and as an independent scientist such that milestones are accomplished against timelines.
- Hiring, management, and development of junior scientists.
- Keep a very well documented electronic notebook and maintain overall physical organization of relevant materials
What you have to offer.
- PhD in biochemistry, biotechnology, structural biology, cell biology, or any other molecular biological or relevant biomedical/protein science.
- At least 10 years of relevant research and/or pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry experience. Experience working with biologics, antigens, antibodies and in the immunotherapy field is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with and a very strong understanding of protein expression (particularly with large and small format shaking Expi293 cells) and purification (AKTA purification via affinity, size exclusion chromatography, ion exchange, etc.) strategies and fundamentals.
- Expertise in protein engineering and characterization techniques, such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot and ELISA.
- Experience in development/deployment of biochemical (TR-FRET, AlphaLISA), biophysical (SPR or BLI) and cell-based assays, both at low and high throughputs.
- Experience in subculturing mammalian cell lines requiring aseptic techniques (such as proper biosafety cabinet operation).
- Effectively work both as part of a team and as an independent scientist.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Pro-active mentality and interest in exploring new scientific and conceptual realms.
- Ability to maintain inventories of equipment, supplies, and related research materials.
- Structural biology experience (x-ray crystallography and/or cryo-EM).
- Experience implementing automation and liquid handling into protein expression, purification, biochemical and cell-based assays.
- Proficiency in flow cytometry analysis of engineered and primary cells (6 colors or more) is a plus.
- Background knowledge in fields of immunology and infectious diseases.
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email email@example.com.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, religion, color, sexual orientation or identity, disability, age and other protected statuses as given by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Most important – it’s a match!