Senior Research Associate, Biochemistry*
- Cambridge (Boston)
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
Senior Research Associate, Biochemistry*
Based in Cambridge, MA, BioNTech US serves as BioNTech’s North American headquarters and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. BioNTech US is a fully integrated subsidiary with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
BioNTech US is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and creative Senior Research Associate to join the Biochemistry group. The successful candidate will produce crucial protein reagents to supply BioNTech’s many research programs for downstream immunological assay and clinical process development efforts. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to help develop new biochemical and biophysical technologies and assays in the field of MHC antigen presentation and T Cell immunity.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Design and management of DNA constructs for protein expression, purification, and assay development purposes (e.g. fusion proteins, site-specific mutations, affinity refinement, protein engineering)
- Design and management of peptide ligand inventories
- Develop and optimize cellular expression systems (e.g. E. coli, mammalian cells, insecT Cells, and yeast)
- Expression of recombinant proteins in E. coli and eukaryotic (predominantly mammalian) systems
- Isolation and purification of E. coli inclusion bodies
- Protein refolding from inclusion bodies, as well as screening for optimal refolding conditions
- Bulk buffer exchange and purification of proteins from refolding reactions and bacterial/eukaryotic cultures by affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatographic techniques
- Establishing and cultivating stable mammalian cell lines expressing various biologics
- Design, generation, and production of lentiviral constructs and reagents
- Assist with in vitro and in vivo assay development
- Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups in the company
What you have to offer.
- BS or MS in biochemistry, biotechnology, cell biology, or a molecular biological science
- At least 5 years of relevant research experience and at least 3 years of working experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries
- Experience working with biologics other than antibodies is strongly preferred
- Ability to test many different and developing technologies in diverse scientific areas, both at low and high throughputs
- Hands-on experience with and a solid theoretical understanding of protein expression in bacterial and mammalian cell systems. This also includes bacterial, eukaryotic (yeast, insect, and mammalian) and lentiviral DNA vector design
- Strong proficiency in various protein purification techniques, such as affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion, and hydrophobic interaction chromatographic approaches
- Strong experience in protein characterization techniques, such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot, and analytical HPLC
- Familiarity with AKTA purification and HPLC systems is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in flow cytometry analysis of engineered and primary cells (6 colors or more) is a plus – MHC tetramer experience is also a plus
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational and communication skills
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race, religion, color, origin, sexual orientation, disability, age and other protected status as required by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
BioNTech - As unique as you