Scientist, Machine Learning*
- Cambridge (Boston)
- Junior, Career start
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
- Technical occupations (other)
Scientist, Machine Learning*
Based in Cambridge, MA, BioNTech US serves as BioNTech’s North American headquarters and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. BioNTech US is a fully integrated subsidiary with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
At BioNTech US, our computational scientists are at the heart of the research. We are seeking an innovative, collaborative, and enthusiastic Machine Learning (ML) Scientist to work with us on a variety of high-dimensional projects centered on target identification, drug discovery, and translational research. The successful candidate will develop novel deep learning algorithms based on proprietary and public biological datasets to drive clinical and discovery research. A critical component of the role will be close collaboration with multi-disciplinary internal discovery teams and external collaborators. At BioNTech US, we are at the cutting-edge of immunotherapy research, emphasizing participation in conferences and authorship of high-impact publications. Our new machine learning scientist will be a critical thought leader in the company, collaborating closely with discovery and development scientists.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Develop deep learning predictive algorithms for problems such as protein-protein binding/docking and three-dimensional structural inference using large proprietary and public datasets to support our novel immunotherapies
- Benchmark performance against internal and external ML algorithms/approaches from leading competing groups
- Integrate novel algorithms into software that is used for therapeutic design and other clinical applications
- Collaborate with diverse lab groups to provide guidance on experimental design and data interpretation from the computational perspective
- Develop and contribute to external collaborations and partnerships
- Liaise with lab scientists and software engineers as a project team member and provide expertise as a scientific resource for key company programs
What you have to offer.
- At least five years of project-based work in the ML field - preference for candidates with a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, computer science, applied math, physics, bioinformatics or related field. A proven track record of quality of work is required.
- Fluency in Python with expertise in Keras, PyTorch, Theano, or TensorFlow
- Experience working with GPU clusters, and ability to manage and customize cloud-based computing environments
- Project-based experience with deep learning (including CNNs and RNNs) and handling large, high-dimensional data sets
- Up-to-date knowledge of the fast-moving ML literature and familiarity with field leaders
- Evidence of innovative problem-solving, including:
- The ability to identify and investigate important new research topics independently
- The capacity to develop and iterate on one’s own ideas, as well as resource existing knowledge and methods
- Track record of thought leadership, including contributions to the ML community via publication and/or blog posts, etc.
- Working understanding of basic biology; eagerness to learn about oncology, cancer genomics, and immunology
- Flexibility to tackle diverse problems outside one’s comfort zone
- Strong written and verbal skills; ability to translate and communicate complex information and concepts for scientists of diverse backgrounds
- Positive and collaborative attitude; ability to work effectively with internal and external collaborators and multidisciplinary teams composed of scientists and non-scientists to translate emerging research to guide internal programs
- Capacity to prioritize and work independently to complete tasks and advance projects with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with protein biophysics, x-ray crystallography, and/or molecular dynamics
- Experience in genomics and interpretation of next-generation sequencing data
- A working knowledge of SQL and/or experience with non-relational/alternative databases
- Experience with basic statistical inference methods
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email email@example.com.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race, religion, color, origin, sexual orientation, disability, age and other protected status as required by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
BioNTech - As unique as you