Scientist, Biologics Design
- BioNTech Careers
- Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
- Published: 2022-07-27
- published till: 2022-09-30
Scientist, Biologics Design
BioNTech is a Germany-based biotechnology company with U.S. offices in Cambridge, MA and Gaithersburg, MD, that focuses on developing cancer therapeutics, including individualized immunotherapy, as well as vaccines for infectious diseases, including COVID-19. The company’s oncology pipeline contains several classes of drugs, including mRNA-based drugs to encode antigens, neoantigens, cytokines, and antibodies; cell therapies; bispecific antibodies; and small-molecule immunomodulators. BioNTech is partnered with several large pharmaceutical companies, including Roche, Eli Lilly, Pfizer, Sanofi, and Genmab. Comirnaty (COVID-19 vaccine) is its first commercialized product.
BioNTech US is seeking a passionate, creative, and curious Scientist to join the Biochemistry group. The successful candidate will collaborate on highly impactful, global infectious disease programs and work both independently and as part of a team to help establish technological capabilities centered around the core components of the immunological synapse – the T cell receptor (TCR) and Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC). This role will focus on the design, production, and characterization of crucial proteins for many infectious disease and oncology research programs in downstream immunological assays. In this role, you will be tasked with the discovery and characterization of novel bispecifics with application to oncology through library design, screening, and validation. In addition, there will be opportunities for the successful candidate to contribute to the structural determination and characterization of therapeutically relevant antigen targets and biologics.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Protein engineering and design of fusion proteins for biologics development and infectious disease programs.
- Design and manage DNA constructs for protein expression, purification, assay development, and structural characterization by X-ray crystallography and/or cryo-EM.
- Expression and purification of recombinant proteins from eukaryotic (predominantly Expi293 cells) and prokaryotic cell systems using affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatographic techniques.
- Deploy and analyze in vitro and in vivo experimental models of target cell killing mediated by biologics in the field of oncology.
- Provide biochemical, computational and structural biology support for infectious disease vaccine programs and other interdisciplinary BioNTech programs.
- Maintain eukaryotic cell lines for downstream applications.
- Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups in the company.
- Productivity both as part of a team and as an independent scientist such that milestones are accomplished against timelines.
- Keep a very well documented electronic notebook and maintain overall physical organization of relevant materials
What you have to offer.
- PhD in biochemistry, biotechnology, cell biology, or any other molecular biological or relevant biomedical science.
- At least 6 years of relevant research and/or pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry experience. Experience working with biologics, antibodies and in the immunotherapy field is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with and a very strong understanding of protein expression (particularly with large format shaking Expi293 cells) and purification (AKTA purification via affinity, size exclusion chromatography, ion exchange, etc.) strategies and fundamentals
- Expertise in protein engineering and characterization techniques, such as SDS-PAGE, western blot and ELISA.
- Experience in development/deployment of biochemical (TR-FRET, AlphaLISA), biophysical (SPR or BLI) and cell-based assays, both at low and high throughputs.
- Experience in subculturing mammalian cell lines requiring aseptic techniques (such as proper biosafety cabinet operation).
- Effectively work both as part of a team and as an independent scientist.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Pro-active mentality and interest in exploring new scientific and conceptual realms.
- Ability to maintain inventories of equipment, supplies, and related research materials.
- Structural biology experience (x-ray crystallography and/or cryo-EM).
- Experience implementing automation and liquid handling into protein expression, purification, biochemical and cell-based assays.
- Proficiency in flow cytometry analysis of engineered and primary cells (6 colors or more) is a plus.
- Experience with cell-mediated cytotoxicity assays (Incucyte/xCELLIGENCE)
- Background knowledge in fields of immunology and infectious diseases.
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email email@example.com.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, religion, color, sexual orientation or identity, disability, age and other protected statuses as given by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Most important – it’s a match!