Associate Scientist, Display Technologies
- BioNTech Careers
- Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Work experience
- Research, development, teaching
- Published: 2022-08-01
- published till: 2022-09-30
Associate Scientist, Display Technologies
Based in Cambridge, MA, BioNTech US serves as BioNTech’s North American headquarters and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. BioNTech US is a fully integrated subsidiary with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
BioNTech US is seeking a passionate, creative, and curious Associate Scientist to join the Biochemistry group. This role will focus on discovery and characterization of novel bispecifics with application to oncology through library design, screening, and validation. In this role you will be tasked to develop new biochemical, biophysical, and cell-based technologies and assays in the field of MHC antigen presentation and T cell-mediated immunity. In addition, you will produce crucial protein reagents to supply many research programs for downstream immunological assay and clinical process development efforts.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- DNA library design, cloning and QC for in-house display platform.
- Perform selection using display platforms to identify protein variants with high specificity and affinity against target oncology proteins.
- Development of high throughput biochemical and cell-based assays to characterize bispecific formats and quantify parameters critical to therapeutic success.
- Expression of recombinant proteins in eukaryotic (predominantly mammalian) cell systems.
- Purification of proteins from eukaryotic cultures by affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatographic techniques.
- Design and management of DNA constructs for protein expression, purification, and assay development purposes.
- Maintain eukaryotic cell lines for downstream applications.
- Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups in the company.
- Productivity both as part of a team and as an independent scientist such that milestones are accomplished against timelines.
- Keep a very well documented electronic notebook.
What you have to offer.
- MS in biochemistry, biotechnology, cell biology, or any other molecular biological or relevant biomedical science.
- At least 3 years of relevant research and/or pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry experience.
- Hands-on experience with and a solid theoretical understanding of modern molecular biology and nucleic acid cloning techniques.
- Experience with library screening using display systems such as Phage, Yeast, Ribosomal, Mammalian or mRNA display.
- Experience in Next Generation Sequencing methodologies.
- Experience in development of biochemical (TR-FRET, AlphaLISA), biophysical (SPR or BLI) and cell-based assays, both at low and high throughputs.
- Understanding of various protein purification techniques, such as affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion chromatography and characterization techniques, such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot and ELISA.
- Experience in subculturing mammalian cell lines requiring aseptic techniques (such as proper biosafety cabinet operation).
- Effectively work both as part of a team and as an independent scientist.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Pro-active mentality.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain inventories of equipment, supplies, and related research materials.
- Familiarity with AKTA purification and HPLC systems is strongly preferred.
- Next Generation Sequencing data analysis.
- Experience implementing automation and liquid handing into protein expression, purification, biochemical and cell-based assays.
- Proficiency in flow cytometry analysis of engineered and primary cells (6 colors or more) is a plus.
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and subsidized parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, religion, color, sexual orientation or identity, disability, age and other protected statuses as given by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Most important – it’s a match!