Associate Director of Lab Operations*
- Cambridge (Boston)
- Work experience
- Commercial professions (other)
Associate Director of Lab Operations *
Based in Cambridge, MA, BioNTech US serves as BioNTech’s North American headquarters and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. BioNTech US is a fully integrated subsidiary with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
Reporting to the US Chief Financial Officer and working closely with the Chief of Research and Development, the Associate Director of Lab Operations will be responsible for the oversight and management of the day to day operations of the BioNTech US laboratories in Cambridge. The role will work closely across all levels of a highly motivated and collaborative research and development organization to ensure quality and timely execution of lab requirements while adhering to compliance and safety standards. The successful candidate will be a highly organized individual with strong attention to detail and have a solid understanding of the activities, processes, and policies necessary for efficient and compliant laboratory operations.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Organize and manage current and future state of lab space and resources, including allocating freezer/ refrigerator/ liquid nitrogen space, etc.
- Support continued growth of lab and identify areas for improvement of current lab operations
- Oversee technical operations of laboratory operations including glass wash, autoclave workflows, chemical and biological inventory tracking system, receiving and efficient dispersion of incoming materials, etc.
- Part of 24-hour response team for facility and EH&S issues and emergencies.
- Responsible for day to day management, coordination, training and ensuring scalability of EH&S program.
- Maintain laboratory safety standards and monitor any safety issues
- Assume responsibility for all laboratory equipment procurement and maintenance, including negotiations, establishing and managing service contracts, tracking and coordinating maintenance and calibrations,
- Scheduling repairs, and maintaining a laboratory equipment matrix.
- Operational oversight of incoming and outgoing shipments of both research and clinical samples.
- Register, receive and store physical inventory of research and clinical samples.
- Receive requests for samples and distribute to scientists.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships in support of the Laboratory.
- Supervise and develop lab technician
- Provide oversight of overall lab operations budget and spend
- Maintain inventory and order/receive laboratory supplies
What you have to offer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Required is a minimum of 6 years experience.
- At least 6 years’ experience working in lab operations or facility management roles with 4+ years in a role that includes staff oversight, preferably in Biotech.
- Experience supporting a CLIA, QC or GLP laboratory is considered a plus.
- Strong collaborator who thrives on working with multiple stakeholders in a matrixed environment and possesses the ability to adjust accordingly to accommodate changing priorities.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing initiatives and/or resources dedicated to laboratory safety and associated regulatory guidelines.
- Someone who thrives on making a difference and displays a high degree of self motivation, maturity, honesty and integrity.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the role, including lifting moderately heavy boxes, prolonged standing, pushing gas tanks, etc.
- Familiarity with HVAC, electrical, janitorial, and other facility related duties highly desired
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race, religion, color, origin, sexual orientation, disability, age and other protected status as required by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
BioNTech - As unique as you